Home-schooling isn't for everyone. I know. And I somewhat agree, and I even teach at a home-school co-op. The number of students home-schooled has doubled in the last decade, and that's pretty cool for those families BUT NOW? Now the number of students who will be required to have school from home has suddenly and out of emergency gone to near 100% and parent-teacher conferencing will be looking in the mirror and trying not to pull your hair!
Right? Me too.
I get it. And whether it is through video conferencing or email, there is no getting around it. And this time if a child is "truant" from school, it's because parents aren't monitoring what the school may require.
And as for the believer who would prefer to send their kids to Sunday Bible school to help them learn about the Bible ... it is now entirely up to you. Because of this necessity and just for you, what I used to call "Sunday school 101" on this website will suddenly be "Sunday school 911!" So I am putting together every post or resource that might be valuable to you in that category. There are 7 resources below, but feel free to keep checking back to The Supercharged Sunday School for more!
If you don't feel comfortable studying the Bible with your children, I'm here to help. I am going to show you every one of the freebies I offer at The Sunday School Store, plus I am working on some lessons that can be done quickly at home. These will be at little to no cost for you. You shouldn't even wish you could run to the Bible store for supplies. The lessons and/or activities list what you need from home. I am also going to absolutely mention some of the best affiliate resources from other people and places, not just The Scripture Scout.
Here we go!
7 WAYS TO DO SUNDAY SCHOOL AT HOME
INSPIRE CHILDREN TO "BE A LIGHT"
Acting out faith is faith in action. Be a refreshing light. But you're stuck at home and want to help during the outbreak. A LOT. It may also be from being stir crazy, but it's probably because that's just who you are. It sure made a difference to that Mom I witnessed when some guy sitting next to her on a plane spent time with her kid and a colouring book so she could feed the baby. I have no doubt she tells people about it today. Maybe (I hope) she passes that story on to her children and reminds them that they will have many opportunities like that ... and not to pass them up.
"So let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith." Galatians 6:10
When one reads that verse it is easy to understand that Paul is speaking about a church. But who is the your community now? You can't leave the house! Who can YOU show God's generosity to? What particular "random act of kindness" can you express to someone who is not merely hurting or discouraged, but like Mom-trapped-on-a-plane-with-all-her-children, totally overwhelmed with what is going on? It may make all the difference to that person.
There are some ideas for YOU in the RESOURCE LIBRARY called "4 Ways to Inspire Children to BE A LIGHT" if you want something to tack onto your fridge or just leave out somewhere that will inspire you or your children when the time is right. And that's only one way to do "Sunday School" -- teach them to be a light.
Easter at Home: FREE
I have an excellent FREE GIFT for you. Easter is going to be a little different this year. Lots of things will need a change of the holiday, whether it is egg hunts, Easter sunrise service, lent, etc. A lot of things will be at home. So, in case things don't change that much with social distancing by Easter, I wanted to give you something you can use for your home, family, and whoever may be sharing this current "cup" with you DURING THIS EASTER/LENT/PASSOVER season.
This holiday IS about Jesus. Many cultures may celebrate the equinox or have bunnies, and baskets and that's nice, but remembering what Easter is really about is even better! All of these Jesus-focused activities can be done on Easter but also used at any time. There are other fun options instead of Easter baskets in one activity (even though plastic eggs included!). These centres are a part of The Scripture Scout’s SLEUTH FOR THE TRUTH curriculum but can EASILY be used separately. YOU CAN ALSO WATCH A VIDEO DESCRIPTION HERE.
There is still a lower price for these on my store site, but I am making them free to you. However, RIGHT NOW, I am also permitting you by this email to give them to whoever you want to give them to - SRSLY. I appreciate you.
Thematic Biblical Activities at Home: FREE
These are simple and fun activities you could certainly do at home. Especially the NEW TESTAMENT BOOKS, which may take all the read Solo cups you have! Kids love this activity, especially if it turns into a race.
There is also MAIL DROP which is an excellent idea for kids stuck at home to consider the missionaries your church supports. They are working hard in another country who may feel rather alone sometimes - and far away from home. Especially now! Write them a letter and give them some encouragement! They will be THRILLED to hear from someone in their church - mainly a student who cared enough to send them a hand-written letter!
Other popular activities are the scripture memory activities, but there are eight freebies to choose from so enjoy browsing around.
Thematic & Textual Biblical Activities at Home: RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP
I went into my back office SEO to find the most popular downloads from The Sunday School Store's 80+ resources, so could I direct you to them without listing every last one of them. If you want to see all, feel free to go to the store. But, I put the general activities and the textual activities in two different groups: the first group of five are popular downloads for general life-lessons from the Bible and then the second group are the most accessed for teaching children Bible stories and history.
- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO 'FOLLOW' JESUS? - Social Media is a current life-saver but how can we use this tool to learn about Jesus?
- SOCIAL MEDIA REPORTS THE BIBLE! - where kids can choose their favourite social media outlet and follow the instructions given to report Biblical events
- FAMOUS WOMEN FROM THE BIBLE- Cut the face and pitcher of water separately, pasting a small magnet to the back side of each. There is a name on one and a question on the other.
- "WONDER WOMEN" FROM THE BIBLE- This is a fun memory drill and can be used as a team game.
- PUZZLE ME THIS (Scripture Memory) - unscrambles these memory verses, put each one in its' proper order, say it over and over or to someone else who wants to learn it with them.
- GOD WILL PROVIDE (Abraham & Isaac) -God didn’t choose to carry out His plan through Abraham because he was special, talented, or even righteous. A gentle quiz-like reminder of how God alone can reconstruct his children into righteous believers.
- a job for JOB (a Biblical story) - Enjoy a creative quiz game centre to remember the highlights, sadness, and trials of Job.
- TRAP THE TEN (The Ten Commandments) - The purpose of this center is to go over the TEN COMMANDMENTS, and to find a practical application to our lives from each one. So you will TRAP THE TEN by angling an octopus! This one has few (but good) reviews; however, it has been downloaded 100s of times! (see buyer review below...)
- The PROPHETS of God - a creative quiz game center to remember important elements in the history of the major prophets in the Bible.
- JESUS' FAMILY TREE (The Genealogy of Jesus) - This centre will help you learn (and remember) the genealogy (family tree) of Jesus since the first man, Adam! It has also been accessed a lot lately!
- "PEN PALS" (Paul's letters to the different churches) -To remember important highlights about the letters Paul wrote to encourage or instruct various churches.
- WE SHALL SEE HIM (teaching about heaven) -To become very familiar with some of the many verses all throughout the Bible describing Heaven!
- SIMPLE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS (themes from Bible books) This may be one of my favourites. This quick and easy-to-understand reference identifies one-sentence Bible themes for EACH of the books of the Bible (split up into divisions by colour). They are fun, easy-to-remember and have simple visuals to help reinforce the one-sentence message.
EASY WAYS TO TEACH EASTER
& OTHER BIBLE STORIES AT HOME:
- I LOVE THIS LADY! Below, from Wright Ideas with Susan, Susan Wright has some Easter lesson ideas: games, songs, objects lessons, craft, memory verses, tech tips and video clips for teaching the Easter story to children.
- Below you'll also see a wonderfully refreshing way to modify a book to share the Bible passage you want to teach kids at home. This way, you can have great visuals as well as share the actual reading of scripture and engage good discussion. Examples shown here are the Genesis Creation, Noah and Christmas picture books, but there are many more. See below for her fabulous idea for easy ways to teach a Bible story to children.
Aren't those wonderful? She has many others that I may be sharing with you periodically at The Scripture Scout as a resource.
Online Sunday School
Alternative from LifeWay
"Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
So they might be one heart and mind with us.
Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me. "
John 17:21, MSG
The Southern Baptist Convention’s publishing arm, Lifeway Christian Resources, is offering a free, in-home children’s Bible study program available to churches of all kinds that have postponed their services due to the coronavirus outbreak.
This part of the family of God is really "on the mark" by offering this resource to any church family. Way to live out John 17:21, LifeWay! *sniff* Thank you. See The Christian Post for the whole story. You can find out how to meet in their Sunday school online right HERE (or by clicking the image below).
THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, PARENT!
And now I will wrap up with this little suggestion ... I'm sure it hasn't gone passed you that you need a Sunday School resource for home. But you are an adult; you are probably already having your own Bible Study time. Since this is related to your situation ... this is what I'm reading at the moment:
There is a wonderful resource from my affiliate at ChurchSource concerning why the home should be The Most Important Place on Earth. Fits right now, doesn't it? It's an older book (well, 2004, so not "old" to me lol) that is revised and updated lately. It's an inspirational and phenomenally useful book for those seeking advice to build a strong Christian foundation for their home.
In a Christian home, you may find discipline, of course, but also purpose and grace - lots and lots of grace. Especially right now when we are all "on top of one another" and more than likely chomping at the bits in various ways, often in annoying, stir-crazy inspired ones. Filled in this book are stories and helpful ideas that will assure any reader that a Christian home is not an intangible stereotype. It is something that i. And that is something worth having, isn't it? sLike I said, I'm reading it right now, so I thought I would share it with you in case you haven't been aware of it. And what better time to read this? When it is quite a challenge to show intentional kindness.
I hope these 7 possibilities have inspired you in creative ways to keep your kids engaged with the Word at home as all Christians are called to do "Sunday School 911" right now.
So we’re not giving up. How could we!? Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. And if you didn't catch it already, I got that straight out of II Corinthians 4:16 (msg).
Now isn't THAT an amazing thing to teach your children?
IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL
"SUNDAY SCHOOL 911" RESOURCES
TO SHARE WITH OTHERS,
PLEASE SHARE IN THE COMMENTS BELOW THE SCRIPTURE CAKE!